Knitting: Stashbusting Cowl

By Tiffany - Sunday, March 31, 2013

I had half a ball of worsted weight wool left (exactly 100g - thank you, handy kitchen scale) that I wanted to use up in a creative way. Cowls are pretty popular right now, so I thought I would make myself one.



What I Did

Most cowl patterns I found called for more yarn than I had. So, I choose a much larger needle (size 10 US) and cast on 176 stitches. This made it long enough to wrap around my neck two or three times. The finished cowl was about 5" wide and 58" around.



Pattern

The pattern I ended up choosing was "Canaletto Cowl" by Megan Goodacre.

Yarn

The wool is some Cascade 220 Heather that was left over from the sweater I made my husband.

Other Notes

I found the pattern really easy. It was great for me to do when I was on a plane or watching tv. The cowl seems to like to roll so that the purl side is out. Perhaps if I was able to make it wider or if I used smaller stitches it would not do this. 

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments