Knitting: My First Human Sweater

By Tiffany - Friday, January 11, 2013

This is the sweater I made my husband for Christmas. I have to qualify it as my first human sweater, since I've made a couple dog sweaters before working my way up to human.


My notes after the jump...



The finished sweater turned out better than expected. The pattern I chose was really easy to follow.


What I learned

Blocking is VERY important. When I was near the end of the sweater, I panicked because the measured length for the zipper was something like 35" (when most stores don't sell zippers great than 30", especially in different colours). I was afraid I had knit my husband a dress! I told myself to calm down and I blocked the sweater. Once it was dry, the zipper length was more reasonable. The sweater also better matched my husband's measurements all around.

Pattern

"Lately Cardigan" by Josh Bennet 

Yarn
  • Green: Cascade 220 Heathers 
  • Orange and Maroon: Cascade 220
  • Off-white: Cascade 220 Superwash

Recommended Readings

"Stich n' Bitch: The Knitters Handbook" by Debbie Stoller. It has great explanations of general knitting techniques, including blocking.

"Knitscene, Fall 2012" is where you can find the Lately Cardigan by Josh Bennet. He also writes a great article on installing zippers.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments