Sewaholic Renfrew 3

By Tiffany - Tuesday, August 05, 2014

I made a third Sewaholic Renfrew and, as the saying goes, the third time's a charm.


Materials:
  • Bamboo knit
  • Thread 
  • Stay tape (yes! I actually got to use real stay tape for once!)

Pattern

Sewaholic Renfrew 

I used my same pattern and fit alterations from Renfrew 2 (ie. fixing the wrinkles above the bust, a swayback adjustment, and widening the sleeves). To make the fit even better, I sewed the side seams at 1/2" instead of 5/8". That did the trick and the top is super comfortable.



Alterations

I only did one other change in addition to the alterations mentioned above. Instead of using the cuffs, I lengthened the sleeves and did a hem using a twin needle. This gives it a cleaner look, since it would have been hard to get the stripes to look good where the sleeve and cuff meet.


I kept the bottom band, even though the striping is a little off for the same reason. I like how the band adds weight to the bottom and stops the shirt from possibly riding up.


The striped fabric gives a nice classy look. I love how the neckline turned out.

What I Learned

I definitely improved my serger skills. I used the serger to finish all of the major seams and even to apply my stay tape. However, I am still not confident enough to use it to piece together everything. I sew with my sewing machine first and then finish with the serger - less chance for major mistakes.

I also improved my overall skills with sewing knits. The quality of the fabric makes a huge difference. This fabric is very nice and so was a pleasure to sew.

The strips turned out really well, but could have been even better. They made it even more obvious that I could do with a walking foot for my sewing machine. Try as I might, the stripes would not stay lined up along the side seams and such.


Overall, I'm super happy with this top. I think this is going to get worn throughout the year at least once a week.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

8 comments

  1. I love a good stripey top - well done! I love the Renfrew - it's one of my very favourites. I have bought the Lane Raglan to try for some long sleeve layering tees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea! I love layering tees in the colder months.

      Delete
  2. It looks wonderful, you did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks great! Really professional. What if (in the event you ever make this with striped fabric again) you made the stripes go vertically on the bottom and sleeve cuffs? Just a thought. I love how they look on the collar, and I have found a walking foot really helpful in sewing knits of all kinds. My Mom got it for me in case I went crazy with quilting, but I have ended up using it to sew knits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ip! Putting the stripes sideways is a great idea! I just ordered a walking foot online and now I have to patiently wait for it. :)

      Delete
  4. I love this in a striped knit! I have made this top a couple of times, but need to adjust the fit a little next time. It is on the snug side, but I like your idea of just narrowing the s/a--that will save on tracing the pattern again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah, I like to be lazy where I can. lol

      Delete