My Broken Gear

By Tiffany - Saturday, February 15, 2014

Alas! It might be awhile until I post any more new sewing projects.

I just finished a pair of pajamas for my husband and started on pair number 2, when my  Singer 533 sewing machine made a "snap" noise and then just stopped feeding fabric. The feed dogs were no longer moving. I opened up the bottom and, sure enough, one of the feed dog gears has broken.

Where the gear should be
The feed dog gear split in two. I thought that this would happen someday, because the gears are the few parts made of plastic in the machine and the plastic is getting really old.


Luckily, replacement gears are easy to find on eBay and other websites. So, I have ordered a set. I'll try to document how to replace them in case anyone else has to. In the meantime, I guess I'll have to do more knitting.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Oh no! I have no idea what my sewing machine even looks like inside, so this will be fun for me to see what's inside. I hope that your machine feels better soon though! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. This will be my first repair job, so wish me luck. :)

      Delete