Butterick 5286

By Tiffany - Saturday, February 15, 2014

For my latest completed project, I made my husband a pair of pajamas bottoms using Butterick 5286.


The project was super easy. I needed something like this to work on in the middle of working on some other really complicated projects.

Materials 

  • Some sort of cotton weave (got it at a liquidation store, so I'm not sure)
  • Waistband elastic
  • Thread

Pattern


Butterick 5286

The pattern is very easy and also includes a top that I would like to try sometime.

No alterations were needed. A size medium fits my husband perfectly.


I made the cord by cutting a one-inch strip of fabric that I folded over with a bias tape maker. It's a lot like making bias tape, but the fabric is cut with the grain, instead of on the bias.

I also tried using the serger for some of the seams. It took a lot of time to get the tension right, but the final look is worth it. The woven fabric unravels too easily without it. I also went and sewed the crotch seam flat once I serged it.


My only challenge was having to undo the waistband once I realized it was too tight to fit the elastic in. Luckily, my seam ripper tool works great. Next time, I'll measure twice and sew once!

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

2 comments