DWR

Sewing DWR Fabric and Waterproof Outerwear

By Tiffany - Saturday, January 04, 2014

I definitely had some struggles with the Ultrex that I used for my winter jacket. In order to get my machine to sew the material, I had to use Microtex 70/10 needles, change my foot plate to the straight stitch plate, and use my walking foot.

Straight Stitch Plate
Even with all of this, my machine would still not sew when there were more than 4 layers and liked skip stitches every now and then.

I ended up borrowing my friends sewing machine to get the job done. All her machine needed was a Microtex needle and it sewed with no problems. So, if you struggle with the fabric a much as I did, It's not you - It's your machine. I'm definitely going to get a another sewing machine because I otherwise enjoyed sewing with this fabric and want to do more in the future.

If you are trying to make your project waterproof, then you will have to seam seal. I only had 1 yard of seam tape, so I used it on the shoulder seams. I found it very easy to work with. You just have to go slow and iron a small part at a time.

Inside Back of Jacket
I used liquid seam sealer on the rest of my seams. It's definitely a bit messy, but also seems to work. If I had more seam tape, I would have used it instead, because I really liked how well it went on (no waiting for it to dry). But, the liquid seam sealer is great if you make any mistakes and have to rip out stitches or for really tricky parts that are hard to iron.

This guest post on Sewaholic about sewing waterproof outerwear was very helpful.

PS. I was very disappointed with Seattle's Fabrics (from whom I bought my Ultrex). I emailed them twice for needle recommendations and heard nothing. I had to search the internet for a few hours to find the information I needed.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments