Wardrobe Deconstruction Part 2

By Tiffany - Saturday, September 21, 2013

A few weeks ago I posted about reviewing my wardrobe. I found out how to better mix and match pieces of my wardrobe together. But what now? Now it is the time to kick out the clothing I should get rid of.

I have been pretty good at getting rid of clothing that I hate, but my closet is full and my dresser is bursting. I know I don't wear all of it.



I decided to make a list of clothing I wear and love. I did this later on in the day, when I didn't have recent memories of what is actually in my closet and dresser.

While making the list, I had the concept of 'wardrobe capsules' in my mind. Wardrobe capsules are a set of clothing for a certain part of your life. The concept is handled in great detail on a great blog called You Look Fab.

From You Look Fab... mmm cookie

Basically, for a certain aspect of you lifestyle (eg. work, school, home) you choose around 6 tops, 3 bottoms, shoes, etc. that can all be mixed and matched together to create a versatile wardrobe.

I split my wardrobe into 'work' and 'home' and graded my clothing from hot to cold weather since the temperature changes so much over the year (eg. from shorts to capris to pants). I then tried to limit how many tops and bottoms I had in each category. At the same time, I made note of any gaps ('don't have' in red) and things that needed work ('replace' in purple).


I then went back to my wardrobe and kicked out anything that wasn't on the list. A few of the clothes I couldn't part with, but were not on the list, I wrote down. This means these clothes are on watch (to be kicked out if they don't get worn soon). Also, I made note of any item that was getting worn out by underlining it - now I know what to sew!

It worked! I was easily able to fill a garbage bag of clothes I barely wear (or shouldn't wear - some of my clothes don't look that good on me and I subconsciously know it).

Anyways, I thought I would share that with anyone who is also trying to figure out how to limit their wardrobe. This is another useful step to make sure you don't knit or sew any floaters.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. This is awesome! I recently decided to give my closet a once over as well. I am going to pick one piece from my closet that I have not worn and build an outfit around it. If it is absolutely impossible, then I will come up with a plan to refashion it. If it seems like too much work or there is nothing doable, I will donate my garment. Obviously great minds think alike!

    ReplyDelete