My Refashion Project and Steampunk Costume Round-up

By Tiffany - Tuesday, August 27, 2013

I have lots of projects on my plate. Two of my 'to-dos' were a nice blouse for my sister's costume and to refashion something for my latest sewing challenge for my Stitch Once Rip Twice sewing group. I decided to combine the two together and refashion a blouse for my sister's costume.

My sister really wanted a nice, Victorian-esque blouse to go with her steampunk costume. This was a picture of something she liked.


I found this blouse second hand and had my sister try it on:


It was quite baggy, but the stretchy, krinkly fabric made it easy to take in. I kept the shirt right side out and sewed along the side seams and underarms until it seemed to fit my sister. I then turned the shirt inside out and sewed the new seams up, thereby creating a french seam. Easy peasy!


I made the sleeves a little more interesting and fitted by adding some elastic at the wrist.


Here is the elastic inside the sleeve.


And now for the whole costume put together.....drum roll please....

Check out those boots!

This is just a quick shot that my sister took. Stay tuned for more professional photos!

If you would like to read about all the hard work I've put into this costume, read these past posts:

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

8 comments

  1. Nice! I love the sleeve alteration and the entire costume is ridiculously detailed! How amazing that you sewed such an amazing outfit. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diane! It took soooo much work that I'm so happy it looks great together.

      Delete
  2. Great job on this refashion! The complete costume is awesome. :-)

    Mo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely refashion! The whole costume is really fun, the corset is my fav part! (and, Yes, boots are gorgeous!!! They remind me of Mary Poppins...)
    If you're on Pinterest, I'd really like to add you as a contributor on my new Group Board all Refashion Related... If you're interested, please, drop me a line!

    MammaNene @ SergerPepper

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Irene! I'll definitely check it out when I get the chance. Refashioning is actually easier than I first thought.

      Delete
  4. This looks amazing! I loved seeing how everything came together and of course the final look is perfect. Great job!

    ReplyDelete