Simplicity 1819 Part 5

By Tiffany - Tuesday, July 30, 2013

I've been working away on my sister's Steampunk Plaid Extroridinare costume. The skirt is finished and now it's on to the corset. Right now I'm deciding how to place the plaid on the corset. Here are some options...


1) match corset stripes to stripes on skirt
2) mirror stripes on corset and don't worry about matching skirt
3) go 45 degrees with the stripes and create a bit of a chevron effect

My sister has picked option 2, which I think looks good. What do you think?

I'm actually having fun playing with plaid. If you are trying to use plaid, Sunni at A Fashionable Stitch has been writing about sewing with plaid and I recommend checking it out.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

7 comments

  1. I like numbers 2 & 3 much more than #1. So nice of you to offer options! I'm personally scared to work with plaids because of the effort involved, but you will definitely make it work! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely takes a bit more effort at first (the laying out and cutting, etc.). But luckily, the fabric is really easy to sew.

      Delete
  2. I like number 2 best. Good luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. number 3 bodice really makes the most of the plaid, I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It makes me want to use the leftover plaid fabric to make a dress or something that uses the chevrons.

      Delete