Knitting: My First Sweater for Me

By Tiffany - Sunday, April 21, 2013

I've finally finished the sweater I was making for myself. Actually, it had been 99% done for about a month, I was just waiting for some buttons.


I love the colour and how fitted it is.

The cables help the knitting take the shape of my body. The pattern also decrease at the waist and then increases at the bust. A made a size 34, which has a bit of negative ease.

I made 3/4 length sleeves, so I could wear it while doing dishes and other chores around the house.


Pattern

"Acer Cardigan" by Amy Christoffers

While the finished sweater turned out pretty nice, there were quite a few things I did not like about the pattern. First of all, if you are going to charge money for your pattern, please proof read the damn thing! I couldn't believe how many weird sentences and typos there were.

The wrap and turn sequence at the end was strange. It says to work in all the wraps with their stitches, but as far as I can tell, that isn't possible with the way it was described.

I didn't like the way the arms were supposed to be knit (separately and then sewed on). So, I picked up stitches and knit down as described by Wool Therapy on Ravelry.

I'm not 100% happy with how the button band turned out. I can see why other people chose to do it differently.


Yarn

  • Knit Picks Wool of the Andes Tweed in Marine Heather (approx. 8 skiens)
As I mentioned before, I love the colour. The wool is just a tiny bit scratchy, but not as bad as traditional wool. I love the little flecks in it - it really hides my black and white dog's hair very well.

Other Notions

My lovely buttons were handmade by my husband. They are rosewood finished with butcher block oil (food safe! I can suck on them! - joking).


The sweater is nice and comfy on colder days. Now I plan on making a cardigan for warmer weather.



  • Share:

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. This looks fantastic! I love it and the color and it fits you perfectly! I know what you mean about issues with patterns - it seems all the free ones are amazing and all the ones you pay for have mistakes or vague instructions. What is that all about?

    ReplyDelete