Burdastyle Ute Sew-Along: Step 4

By Tiffany - Friday, April 12, 2013

Just a quick little post for my Ute Sew-Along. I am now at Step 4: Cutting out the fabric.


And now you will finally get to see my fabric choice for my Black and White Challenge!

Lovely little polka dots

I've chosen a nice stretch cotton (97% cotton, 3% lycra) for my blouse. My muslin did not have any stretch, so that is why I have chosen not to simply copy my muslin, but review the pattern based on my measurements. (Hopefully, it will all turn out ok... fingers crossed)


There isn't anything too special about cutting out this pattern compared to other patterns. If you are a beginner, check out this great post on A Fasionable Stitch on Cutting Tips for Beginners.

One thing I will mention, is that you may want to cut the bias strip (piece 5) differently than what the instructions show.


As you can see, it is a long narrow strip that is cut on the bias. Because of how it is placed, it may cause a lot of wasted fabric. If you want to save fabric, you can cut your bias strip as if you are making bias tape.

There is are good tutorials on making bias tape at Burdastyle.com and at Coletterie. Follow the steps right up to the point of ironing the strips into bias tape.

The only downside is that you will have a few seams in your bias strip. For this reason, I chose to cut mine as only two pieces. This means there will only be one seam and it will fall behind my neck.



Just keep in mind that you will need to add a little bit of length for seams.

The next thing to do would be to sew the two pieces together at 90 degress from each other and then press them straight.


Tada! Now I have a bit more fabric left over in case I have to recut a piece. If all goes well, I'll just have more fabric left over for a future project.

Previous Post:
Burdastyle Ute Sew-Along: Steps 1-3

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. I love your fabric - I can't wait to see the finished shirt! And the rest of the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your choices are GREAT!
    MammaNene

    SergerPepper.blogspot.it

    ReplyDelete