Sewing: Minoru and Other Projects Update

By Tiffany - Friday, March 08, 2013

My zippers came yesterday! I'm now back on track for making my Minoru jacket. Check out this colour combo:


I think I'll look pretty snazzy for spring.

I'm also trying to make a top out of some scrap fabric I found. I bought some cheap fabric from a second hand store for $2. I didn't look at it until I got home, only to find out that it was cut into three triangles.

Check out my c. 1960 kitchen floor!

I also discovered that I liked the back of the fabric and not the right side. How I approached this challenge after the jump.
I decided I would try to create a shirt using this little bit of fabric. And I would make it wrong side out, because the colours seem nicer that way (you can see the right side in the picture below and the wrong side in the picture above).

At first, I thought I would just make a tank top, but that seemed boring. It took a lot of thinking, but then it hit me - I should make a shirt with raglan sleeves. I searched my closet and found one I already had.

It's important to make sure the grain of the fabric is in the right direction.

As you can see, the sleeve lines fit nicely into the triangle shape. Using some newspaper, I've started to trace out my existing shirt to create a pattern.


It's a bit tricky, as there is gathering. But, a ruler and some patience and a pattern is starting to come together.

Other things I have to keep in mind is that the shirt I'm drafting from is tight around the sleeves and armscye. I also find it a bit too short.

This shirt is a side project when I'm waiting for something for my other projects, so it might take a while to complete. When I do, I'll post it here.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments