Craft: My Cake Toppers

By Tiffany - Thursday, January 03, 2013

I personalized my wedding cake by making my own cake toppers. They are replicas of my husband's and my motorcycles. They were constructed with Fimo and some details were painted on at the end. If you lack the skills yourself, I highly recommend seeing if any of your friends will do it for you.


Having personalized cake toppers lets you get away with a simipler (and probably cheaper) cake, which usually taste better than the fondant monstrosities out there (sorry, I'm a bit of a food snob). 



More pictures and details on how I made them after the jump...




Materials
  • Fimo or other polymer sculpting product in assorted colours
  • Acrylic paint in assorted colours
  • Aluminium foil
  • Super glue
Instructions

In order to make my models to scale, I printed pictures of the motorcycles from the front and back angles at the size I was using. I then used the side pictures as templates on which to lay my Fimo pieces.

Starting with the largest sections, I roll, squished, and mashed the Fimo into the appropriate shapes and joined them together. The smaller pieces (e.g. the handle bars and toe pegs) were moulded and put to the side.

I put the pieces in the oven on the aluminium foil and bake as per the directions on the package. In a few cases, I under baked the pieces as I wanted to add a piece on after it was a little firmer and then bake it again.

Once all the pieces were made, I assembled the smaller pieces onto the larger ones with super glue. Any other little details, like the pin-striping, were added with paint. It is also possible to carve and scrap details into the Fimo once it is baked.



In case you are wondering, the motorcycles are a 2006 Honda 919 and a 1988 Honda CB450SC.

One More Idea...

If that seems like too much work for you, you can always to something like my friend did. She bought two Daleks (one white and one black) and dressed them up as the bride and groom. Both her and her husband love Doctor Who.



  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments