Blog: Sewaholic

By Tiffany - Tuesday, January 08, 2013

Today, I stumbled on a really great sewing blog called Sewaholic. It has great patterns and sometimes interesting discussions. Like this post on the book "Overdressed" by Elizabeth Cline. I'm definitely going to check this book out.


The discussion on the post is great. It makes me so happy to see that there are so many other people out there that are interested in the larger societal effects that the way we buy clothing can have.

One comment also reminded me that of a discussion I had with my husband the other day:
"... One thing I have learned is to never try and change my shape to fit into rtw clothes. If I exercise it is because I want to. I don’t diet.
Since I started sewing more and buying less I have become more comfortable with my measurement, less aware of my rtw size but I have also gotten bigger. I am not saying that sewing makes you fat I am just pointing out that my growing size no longer depresses me they way it used to because I know that I can still dress myself no matter what. That is not a feeling I get when I shop." - Kate
It's pretty sad that we live in a world where we have to change ourselves to fit into the clothing we wear. We have to work out, diet, lose weight, etc., not for good health, but to fit in the clothes we buy (and often at the expense of good health). I get depressed about my body shape whenever I try on most clothes. We should be working on the clothes to make the clothes fit us and not the other way around. I think I'll be much happier if I do that instead.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments